A moment to appreciate the architects, designers and engineers.
Aino is also known for her own individual contributions which helped bring modern Finnish design to the international arena. Her architectural exhibitions for Artek received the Gran Prix at the 1936 Milan Triennial. Aino also won the gold medal at the same competition for her “Aalto Glasses” which were inspired by the circles created by throwing rocks in the water.
They are objects that stimulate the imagination and challenge seriousness and stiffness. Aside from sound ergonomic design Eero Aarnio follows very few rules when creating his furniture. “A chair must be comfortable for sitting and after that everything is free.”
Lena graduated from Konstfack’s textile department, and have recieved numerous awards since then, including 12 Excellent Swedish Design and 3 Elle Decoration Design Awards; and is represented by Nationalmuseum in Stockholm, The Röhsska Museum of Fashion, Design and Decorative Arts in Gothenburg, the Cleveland Museum of Art in the United States, andthe Victoria and Albert Museum in London.
In 1936, a one-year scholarship to the School of the Detroit Society of Arts and Crafts allowed him to study painting and drawing. His fate was cast when in 1950 Harry was invited to move to Pennsylvania to work with Hans and Florence Knoll (Florence was also a Cranbrook Graduate). During this period he designed five wire chair pieces that became known as the Bertoia Collection for Knoll. Among these was the famous diamond chair a fluid, sculptural form made from a welded lattice work of steel.
From his studio Colombo worked primarily on architectural commissions - including ski lodges and mountain hotels - as well as product design. His furniture designs were characterised by optimistically bold and round forms. He was remarkably prolific during his single decade as a designer some of his most notable projects include the 1963 Elder Armchair and 1970 Bobby trolley.
Day won a scholarship to study at the Royal College of Art in London but it did not meet his expectations as he found the courses of the 1930’s to be "all painting and sculpture" rather than three-dimensional design. Whilst at the College at an RCA dance in 1940 that he met a fellow student, Lucienne Conradi. This was the beginning of a lifelong partnership and 2 years later they married and it was, for its time, a very modern marriage. Both the Days rose to the very top of their professions, Robin in furniture and Lucienne in textile design and although they did not normally work together in a formal sense, they shaped each others work by suggestion and discussion working on back to back drawing boards in their Cheyne Walk Chelsea studio which they shared for nearly 50 years.
In 1948, in partnership with Clive Latimer, he won the International Competition for Low-Cost Furniture held at the Museum of Modern Art in New York (MOMA). It resulted in Day being invited to design furniture for Hille who at the time specialised in the manufacture of high quality reproduction furniture. With Day’s guidance working with Ray Hille, her daughter Rosamind and son-in-law Leslie Julius the company underwent a complete transformation and began to produce ranges of modern furniture.
Robin and Lucienne Day became Britain’s most celebrated design couple with this recognition being helped by the fact that they brought a much-needed dose of glamour to postwar Britain. Together they featured in countless magazine spreads and, in 1954, as a debonair couple in a Smirnoff vodka advertising campaign, surrounded by their furniture and textile designs. They also played a key role with high street retailer John Lewis behind the scenes for 25 years between 1962 and 1987, overseeing the introduction of a comprehensive new house style.
Day also designed the interiors of several Waitrose supermarkets and John Lewis department stores, notably Milton Keynes in 1979.
“It has always been my mission and passion to bring to market the highest quality consumer electronics products that reflect what consumers are looking for in outstanding design and sound quality.
Beginning in 1903 Gropius followed in his architect father’s footsteps. After a year of travel in Europe, Gropius joined the architectural firm of Peter Behrens in 1908.
He started practicing traditional functionalistic architecture, but over the years his professional interests changed to focus mainly on lighting which is what he is most famous for. He also expanded his field of occupation into areas of writing, becoming a journalist and an author. For a short period at the beginning of WWII, he was the head architect of the Tivoli Gardens in Copenhagen.
In 1993 she founded the Jongeriuslab studio, where independent projects are developed as well as work for major clients, including the upholstery fabric company Maharam, the interior design of the Delegates’ Lounge of the United Nations Headquarters in New York, cabin interiors for the airline KLM. Since 2012, Jongerius has served as Art Director for the rug company Danskina and since 2007 as Art Director of colours and materials for Vitra.
The Pelikan Chair designed in 1939, was exhibited during the Guild Exhibitions, a yearly Cabinetmaker’s Exhibition and highly criticised because of its organic form far from the Danish furniture tradition of functional objects. However, despite the numerous criticisms Finn Juhl 's works started to be appreciated abroad throughout the 1940s for the virtuous, radical and organic design clearly inspired by contemporary artists and by natural forms; like the aforementioned Pelikan Chair and the Chieftain Chair.
While at Kingswood, Florence befriended Eilel Saarinen, whom she would later study under at Cranbrook. The connections she made and the skills she developed while at Cranbrook were the foundations of Florence Schust’s incredible design education and pioneering career. With recommendations from Eliel Saarinen and Alvar Aalto, Florence went on to study under some of the greatest 20th century architects, including Walter Gropius and Marcel Breuer in Cambridge, Massachusetts and Ludwig Mies van der Rohe at the Illinois Institute of Technology.
In 1941 Florence moved to New York where she met Hans Knoll who was establishing his furniture company. With Florence’s design skills and Hans’ business acumen and salesmanship, the pair, who married in 1946, grew the nascent company into an international arbiter of style and design.
German-born Hans Knoll was a member of a prominent furniture-making family. His father Walter C. Knoll was one of the pioneer makers of modern furniture in pre-Hitler Germany.
Knoll went first to England where he opened his own interior design company, Plan Ltd. His stay in England was brief and in 1937 he came to New York. With his background in the production of furniture and his zeal for good design, he was ready in 1938 to form the Hans G. Knoll Furniture Company in small space on East 72nd Street.
From lighting, furniture, watches, loudspeakers, textiles, packaging for Finlandia, art glass to architecture – it’s hard to find a designer with a broader range of work. But we are proud to say the Block Lamp is probably still the one piece Harri is best known for.
Harri has received numerous awards, including the Compasso d’Oro, also known as ’the Nobel Prize of the design industry’. In 2009 Harri received the Torsten and Wanja Söderberg Award, one of the world’s largest design awards. The jury noted that despite his young age, Harri is probably Finland’s most renowned designer whose design is a perfect combination of tradition and renewal.
In the 1930s, Le Corbusier reformulated his theories on urbanism, publishing them in La Ville Radieuse (The Radiant City) in 1935. The most apparent distinction between the Contemporary City and the Radiant City is that the latter abandoned the class-based system of the former, with housing now assigned according to family size, not economic position.
Furniture, lamps and other objects that he designed may be found all over the world at important design museums which have given exhibitions in his honour and kept examples of his work in their permanent collections.
The years that he spent at IKEA stimulated an interest in the practical details of design that few designers devote much attention to: creating a product that not only works well but that is also well adapted to manufacture and distribution.
Over the years Karl has acquired a notable collection of such items and it was the prototype of a folding chair that he presented when he first met with Design House Stockholm’s founder and managing director Anders Färdig.
Since 2002 Karl has run his own design studio, and been awarded the Excellent Swedish Design Award four times, as well as the Red Dot Design Award.
Mies emigrated to the United States. There he created such well-known Modernist works as the Lake Shore Drive Apartments and the Seagram Building. He died in 1969.
Panton was born in 1926 in Gamtofte, Denmark, and studied at Odense Technical College before enrolling at the Royal Danish Academy of Fine Arts in Copenhagen as an architecture student.
He worked from 1950-52 in the architectural firm of Arne Jacobsen, and founded an independent studio for architecture and design in 1955. His furniture designs for the firm Plus-linje attracted attention with their geometric forms. In the following years Panton created numerous designs for seating furniture and lighting.
His passion for bright colours and geometric patterns manifested itself in an extensive range of textile designs. By fusing the elements of a room—floor, walls, ceiling, furnishings, lighting, textiles, wall panels made of enamel or plastic—into a unified gesamtkunstwerk, Panton's interior installations have attained legendary status. The most famous examples are the "Visiona" ship installations for the Cologne Furniture Fair (1968 and 1970), the Spiegel publishing headquarters in Hamburg (1969) and the Varna restaurant in Aarhus (1970).
From 1923 to 1930 Ponti worked at the Manifattura Ceramica in Milan, changing the company's whole output. His industrial design work includes: a line of furnishings for the Rinascente department stores, under the name Domus Nova ceramic objects production: maiolica vases, porcelain, sanitary ware (like sinks and toilets) chairs: among others, he worked for Cassina designing an angular armchair, named "Distex", and the very famous 1957 "Superleggera" a wonderfully elegant chair that has left its mark on the world of furniture design.
Jean Prouvé completed his training as a metal artisan before opening his own workshop in Nancy in 1924. In the following years he created numerous furniture designs, and in 1947 Prouvé established his own factory. Due to disagreements with the majority shareholders, he left the company in 1953.
In 1949, Armi took the first steps to creating Marimekko. She joined Printex, her husband's oilcloth and print fabric company, and she started buying exceptionally colourful and bold patterns for the company. Marimekko was founded two years later, when Armi and Viljo began making clothes from Printex's unique fabrics.
From 1993 to 1996 she had an associate practice with architects de Renzio and Ramerino and was engaged in architectural design, showrooms, restaurants and franchising (Maska/Italy, Tomorrowland Stores/Japan, Des Pres/France). In 1996 she became head of the Lissoni Associati design group, working for Alessi, Antares-Flos, Artelano, Boffi, Cappellini, Cassina, Kartell, and others. At the same time, on her own, she designed for B&B, Bosa, De Vecchi too, Fasem, Kartell, Liv’it, Mdf, Molteni & C., Moroso and Tronconi and designed stands and showroom for Knoll, Moroso, Sag 80, and Somma.
Her products were selected for the Italian Design 2001 exhibition and for Intenational Design Yearbook 1999 and 2001. In 2001 she was chair of the jury for the 19th CDIM Design Award and was lecturer in the Domus Academy. She is currently conducting her professional activity in her own studio in Milan in the field of design, exhibitions, art direction, and architecture. She has been Cassina’s Art Director since 2015
Born in 1914 in Tønder, the son of a shoemaker, he was apprenticed to a carpenter at the age of 17 before studying at the Royal Danish Academy of Fine Arts. He studied there from 1936-1938, before taking further studies as an architect.
In 1940 Wegner initiated a joint project with Arne Jacobsen and Erik Møller in Aarhus, which involved fitting out Aarhus' town hall.
In 1952, he founded the Yanagi Industrial Design Institute, which created a prolific number of articles of daily use and furnishings. Sori Yanagi’s organic forms combine western industrial designs with Japan’s native artisanal traditions. This successful synthesis made Sori Yanagi one of the most significant Japanese designers of the post-war era. In addition to furniture, he also designed lighting, glass objects, cutlery, children’s toys, metro stations, cars and motorcycles.